ISO : 22000 (Food Safety Management System)
ISO 22000 is a Food Safety Management System that can be applied to any organization in the food chain, farm to fork. Becoming certified to ISO 22000 allows a company to show their customers that they have a food safety Management system in place. This provides customer confidence in the product. This is becoming more and more important as customers demand safe food and food processors require that ingredients obtained from their suppliers to be safe.
The consequences of unsafe food can be serious and ISO's food safety Management standards help organizations identify and control food safety hazards. As many of today's food products repeatedly cross national boundaries, International Standards are needed to ensure the safety of the global food supply chain.
- The ISO 22000 family contains a number of standards each focusing on different aspects of food safety Management.
- ISO 22000: 2005 contains the overall guidelines for food safety Management.
- ISO/TS 22004: 2005 contains guidelines for applying ISO 22000
- ISO 22005:2007 focuses on traceability in the feed and food chain
- ISO/TS 22003:2007 provides guidelines for audit and certification bodies
- ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 contains specific prerequisites for food manufacturing
- ISO/TS 22002-3:2011 contains specific prerequisites for farming